Union Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey

Animal Control

Animal Control Officer Laura Roerig
 To report stray cats, dogs or other domesticated animals

In 1983, pursuant to section 4 of P.L. 1983, c. 525, and in accordance with the “Administrative Procedure Act” 1968, the Commissioner of Health and Senior Services was required to adopt rules and regulations concerning the training and educational qualifications of Animal Control Officers. Two of the most important aspects of this statute were that Animal Control Officers were required to be State certified, and that all New Jersey municipalities were now required to appoint an Animal Control Officer. 

According to the New Jersey Certified Animal Control Officers Association, duties of an Animal Control Officer (ACO) may include:

  • Answering inquiries from the public concerning animal control operations.
  • Capturing and removing stray, uncontrolled, or abused animals from undesirable conditions, using nets, nooses, or tranquilizer darts as necessary. 
  • Cleaning facilities and equipment such as dog pens and animal control trucks. 
  • Contacting animal owners to inform them that their pets are at animal holding facilities.
  • Euthanizing rabid, unclaimed, or severely injured animals.
  • Examining animal licenses, and inspect establishments housing animals for compliance with laws.
  • Examining animals of injuries or malnutrition, and arrange for any necessary medical treatment.
  • Investigating reports of animal attacks or animal cruelty, interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, and writing reports.
  • Issuing warnings or citations in connection with animal-related offenses, or contacting police to report violations and request arrests.
  • Writing reports of activities, and maintaining files of impoundments and dispositions of animals.


Union Township does NOT have a contract with any agency for Wildlife Animal Control. Following is a list of companies and agencies that may be able to help you with trapping/controlling nuisance wildlife on your property. Union Township does not endorse any specific company/agency and it is the property owner’s responsibility to seek appropriate wildlife control services and pay any applicable fees.

  • Wildlife Control Specialist, LLC 1-888-758-6572
  • Orkin 1-866-613-0766
  • ADC Systems 1-732-388-9272
  • 911 Wildlife Control 1-888-928-2668
  • St. Huberts Animal Welfare Center  1 908 526-3330


If you would like to report a dead deer on a township road, please return to the Union Township home page, click on “Quick Links”, “Report a Dead Animal”, and follow the instructions on the page.

Home | Privacy Statement |
Click here to go the the Union Township Home Page